Intermittent Fasting is currently growing momentum as one of the most popular health and fitness trends.
People are using it to lose weight, improve health, and simplify their lifestyles.
It not only effects the body. It has significant effects on the brain and even helps you live longer!
What is intermittent fasting? It is simply an eating schedule. Our bodies are always in a fed or fasted state. When your body is in a fed state you have higher levels of insulin. When your body is in a fasted state the insulin reduces, and your body will level its hormone levels out.
How does it work? It works in many ways! I coach women to eat on a schedule that I have personally found to be an effective lifestyle that promotes fat loss. Your body is in a fasted state approximately 6-12 hours after your last bite of food.How does intermittent fasting effect your cells and hormones? Well, several things happen when you fast! Your hormone levels change to make fat more accessible as a fuel source. Your cells also initial important repair processes, and change the expression of your genes!!!
- Human Growth Hormone (HGH): The levels skyrocket! They increase as much as 5-fold. This encourages fat loss, muscle gain, just to name a few!
- Insulin: Insulin sensitivity improves and levels drop dramatically.
- Cellular repair: When fasted, your cells initial cellular repair processes. This includes where cells digest and remove old and dysfunctional proteins that build up inside cells.
Weight/ Fat loss benefits? Fasting boosts your metabolism, while helping you to eat fewer calories. It is extremely important to lose weight and belly fat!
FAQ of intermittent fasting?
- What can you drink? Water, coffee, tea and other non caloric beverages are fine. Small amounts of milk or cream are also OK.
- Isn't it unhealthy to skip breakfast? No, the problem is that most breakfast skippers have unhealthy lifestyles. Some, not all. If you eat healthy foods and calories during the day, then it does not matter if you skip breakfast.
- Can I take supplements while fasting? Yes. However, keep in mind that some supplements (like fat soluble vitamins) may work better with food.
- Will fasting cause muscle loss? Any loss of weight can cause some muscle loss. I encourage to life weights and keep protein at an appropriate percentage.
- Will fasting slow down my metabolism? No. Short term actually boosts your metabolism! Longer fasts, 3 days or more, can suppress your metabolism.
- Should kids fast? No.
Ready to learn how to start, and the best fasting schedule to help burn fat?!